Pages

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Youth Code, Here's to You

The mirror is a daily reminder that I'm not getting any younger. There are some tiny crevices creeping in around my eyes, and my once oily skin is constantly parched. It probably doesn't help that I analyze my face every single morning in one of those 1000x magnifying mirrors while I apply my makeup, but alas, I see the signs of age settling in even without that mirror.

I've been doing my best to protect my skin from the sun ever since the great melanoma surgery of 2010, and I'm sure that will continue to pay off down the road when I'm (hopefully) not coated in sun spots, but still, there are signs of wear and tear on my face.

So I set out on a skin rejuvenating mission. Ever the Type A personality, this didn't come without some research and I relied on my trusted MakeupAlley.com for consumer reviews. Of course all of the high-end items came back with stellar reviews, further confirming the whole "you get what you pay for" cliche. Unfortunately, I wasn't really in the mood to drop several hundred dollars on my face just yet, and I scoured the drugstore alternatives.

The L'Oreal Youth Code Texture Perfector Serum Concentrate and Day/Night Cream quickly jumped out.


I know, I know ... you're definitely rolling your eyes at me and assuming I bought these because of the pink packaging. And you're partly right.

First of all, every review I read was positive (+1). Secondly, the price point was in my range at $19.99 per item (+1). Finally, the pink packaging sealed the deal (+1).

The day/night cream promises to make pores appear smaller, reduce fine lines and create 'petal soft' skin texture. The serum allegedly refines and helps perfect skin, 'EVEN AT THE PIXEL LEVEL.' <- I love this last line of the marketing jargon ... it's like an 'up yours' to my magnifying mirror!!!

In all honesty, what really hooked me was talk of the coveted LR2412 ingredient that is derived from jasmine plants. Now, I can't tell you much about what this supposedly does because it's never been mentioned before on "The Big Bang Theory," but all of the reviewers seemed pretty pumped about this mystical and magical ingredient. Supposedly it was a key ingredient in some $100 Lancome product that has been discontinued, but it's reappeared in this serum and it's flying off the shelves and into the skin care regimes of some serious devotees.

I'm looking forward to trying these items out and adding them to my daily routine. I truly hope to use them for four weeks and come back here with a review for y'all. Hopefully by then you're not all so envious of my perfect skin that you refuse to read my blog ;)

Any anti-aging products you want to recommend? Let me know in the comments below!
Ashley

3 comments:

  1. I'm totes going to try this one yay! I use La Mer Moisturizing Cream...and The Concentrate...And the Eye Balm Intense. Why? Because everyone else does. Does it help? I hope so, cause its not cheap. I figure I'm a Scrooge in pretty much every other area, so skin care, I splurge. Also, Clinique Repairwear Intense Eye Cream is actually legitimately awesome for puffiness and tired eyes in the morning. (Also amazing for after crying). Not that I ever use it for that of course, just saying ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the Clinique Repairwear, but my eyes are pretty sensitive to it and it always seems to somehow end up in my eyes. Can't say I've ever used it enough to notice a difference, but I need to start adding it to the morning regime because my under eye areas are beyond dry lately. This whole 'getting old' thing really sucks. Let me know if you ever can't live another day without the La Mer products ... I just can't justify that price (although I've seen it at Costco and might end up purchasing it there someday).

      Delete
  2. Getting old is gross. I refuse to. I can see what you mean with the Repairwear but for me it really zaps the bags when I'm hungover. Maybe try Benefit It's Potent! eye cream, its a little less intense but really moisturizes. Benefit has the some of the best makeup and products IMO~ and their in-store air brush tan is seriously legit for big evenings or events. Honestly I probably can't ever stop using La Mer now for the singular fear I have of a Death Becomes Her situation if I do. You know what I'm talking about.

    ReplyDelete