Pages

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Howl-o-ween

(Shoutout to my friend Thomas for helping me come up with today's topic! My creative juices were not flowing.)

I don't really care much for Halloween. I've always been easily scared, and judging by some of the costumes I see girls wearing I'm afraid the risk of catching an airborne STD significantly increases on All Hallow's Eve. So for those reasons, I usually convince Mr. Cush to stay in with me and we pass out candy to the cute trick-or-treaters that ring our doorbell.

In more recent years, we've taken to dressing up our dog for the night. (Yes, we're those people. You can roll your eyes and I won't be offended.) Not long after Mr. Cush and I moved to Austin, Mommabear made our old dog, Maggie, a Bevo costume. For anyone not familiar with Bevo, he's the mascot for The University of Texas. I'm not going to lie ... Mommabear outdid herself with Maggie's costume, and several friends and coworkers alike asked me for one for their dog. Unfortunately for them, Mommabear has a few grandkids these days and they get priority costume development for the holiday.

Here's a picture of Maggie in her Bevo costume ... 
Her 'muzzle' said MAGVO instead of BEVO. No details were spared.
Unfortunately, Maggie passed away in 2012 after eating a sock and not long after, Riley entered our lives. Maggie was about 20 pounds larger than Riley, but Riley fulfilled the Cushman Halloween tradition last year and looked pretty darn adorable in the costume ...
So precious. And, yes, there is an Instagram filter here.
Since Mommabear has THREE baby costumes to come up with this year, it's highly unlikely that Riley gets a costume of her own. Riley will have to settle for the Bevo hand-me-down unless I find an adorable Lobster costume at Petsmart that might fit here.

And for anyone thinking, "If Mommabear can make that without a pattern for a dog, what can she do for a baby with a pattern?" here's your answer ...
Left: Violet as Tinkerbell, 2012.
Right: Brady as a lion, 2012.
Yes, Mommabear is beyond talented. One of the only reasons I'm contemplating motherhood right now is to get my hands on one of these amazing costumes for my own flesh-and-blood.

What costumes are you contemplating for your babies this year? (Both the human and four-legged varieties of babies.) Let me know in the comments below!
Ashley

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm not as talented or creative as Cindy. Erin can sew. Maybe she could make her pup, Zoey, a costume. Here are 2 suggestions that would fit her: The Devil or Snoopy!

    ReplyDelete