Pages

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Cinnamon + Sugar + Pumpkin Beer

WARNING: Hold on to your seat while you're reading this because I'm about to change your life.

Last fall, Mr. Cush and I ventured to Boston for one of my very best friend's beautiful wedding. It was our first trip to Bean Town, and Mr. Cush and I went a few days before the wedding to do the normal touristy stuff, like walk the Freedom Trail.

Now, most people knock out the Freedom Trail in an afternoon. It took Mr. Cush and I the better part of three days because we stopped at almost every single pub along the way. It was awesome.

We stumbled (up to you if I'm using that word literally or figuratively) into an amazing little pub that had Shipyard Pumpkinhead on tap, and it was the daily special. Being a pair of pumpkin lovers (but NOT an overly-annoying "we love fall" couple), we bellied up to the bar and ordered a few pints.

Before our very eyes, the bartender dipped the rims of our glasses in a sugary and cinnamony concoction before filling them with Pumpkinhead.

Folks ... this was a life changing moment for me. I was utterly speechless. Mr. Cush and I stared at our glasses for at least three full minutes before we tossed them back. We went on to drink approximately 97 more of these sugary, cinnamony-rimmed glasses of beer in the ensuing days.

The second we stepped off the plane upon returning to Austin, we hit the store to buy some pumpkin-flavored beer (no Pumpkinhead in Austin, so we settle for whatever we can find). You can guess what happened after that.

Here's a little sequence of pictures that show what you'll need to coat the rims of your glasses this fall ...
Mix cinnamon and sugar, dip, serve. So easy that I can do it!
Let's get a closer look at that picture on the far right, shall we?
Two things: 1) yes, this is heavenly, and 2) it's simple enough that I create this in Casa de Cushman. I toss an unmeasured spoonful of sugar on the plate, mix in some cinnamon, wet the rim of the glass and dip it in the mixture before pouring in the beer.
The first one that changed my life.
C'mon, Austin. We need this!
My buddy. 
Hope y'all are having a marvelous beertober!!!
Ashley

4 comments:

  1. Who doesn't like a sugared rim? Also, I forgot that we had a drink with Paul Revere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul Revere was pretty awesome. He knew what was up.

      Delete
  2. I agree, I had rimmed cinnamon/sugar glass for the first time at a pub in Cape May, NJ and it was absolutely delicious, I'm now hooked!!! If my pumpkin beer doesn't come that way, I don't want it!

    But one tip...never pour a "Budweiser" product such as Shock Top into a Sam Adams glass. It's sacrelig to beer drinkers.

    Cute blog page though!

    ReplyDelete