Pages

Monday, November 25, 2013

'Tis the Season ... For Visitors

College football head coach Nick Saban referred to a "special pressure" when he described what it's like to coach at Alabama. I'm guessing he's never prepared his home for his parents to visit because I'm certain there's no pressure out there that compares to doing so. Many of you agreed with me based on my Facebook status yesterday ...


Don't get me wrong ... Mr. Cush and I aren't a slovenly couple. It's just that preparing for a visit from your parents can be stressful. I think the stress comes from wanting to impress our parents, to prove to them that we're actually grown up enough to pay a mortgage, take care of a home and take care of each other. (And maybe a little bit of the stress is because Mommabear keeps an immaculate home and I'm seemingly incapable of doing the same.)

In preparing for my parents to visit us over the Thanksgiving holiday, Mr. Cush and I spent the better part of our weekend taking care of the odds and ends we've let slip since they last visited ... which was approximately *gulp* a year ago. We had a piece of the laminate flooring in our kitchen replaced, fixed the hot water issue in our spare bathroom and cleaned all of the furniture in our living room. 

While we were in midst of preparations for our home, two things dawned on me and I've added pictures of both below. Easy things that can make your place just a tiny bit more comfortable for travelers ...  
TOP: I finally picked up a large apothecary jar at Michael's after I stumbled upon a 50% off coupon. I'm notorious for bringing home the shampoo and conditioner bottles from all of my travels, and now they're all stored in our guest bathroom (well, at least the ones that Mr. Cush DIDN'T throw away during my hoarding phase). No need for guests to worry about bringing their own shower items!

BOTTOM: As I was cleaning out various bags, I found one of my 1,374 iPhone chargers. These are spread all over my home, car and work bag, so I decided to leave this one in the guest bedroom. There's a 95% chance Ol' Rodney forgets his, and if he does, I've got him covered.

Do any of you have family visiting for the holiday? What are your secrets to getting your home ready for their arrivals???
Ashley

1 comment:

  1. Love that jar-o-stuff! As you know, the other Mrs. Cush began this practice for our downstairs bathroom years ago, after we saw Mommabear's in Rodney's bathroom.

    ReplyDelete