Pages

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Love It and Loathe It

My very sweet sister-in-law gave me an amazing gift last year for Christmas in the form of a gift card to Spalook.com. I had never before purchased anything from the site, but knew I wouldn't have any problem using the surplus at an online retailer that hawks "luxury skin care essentials." 

I kept my eyes on the site for several months before deciding what to purchase ... I hate the idea of 'wasting' a gift on something trendy and trivial, and it was important to me to find something I really wanted and could use on a very regular basis. After some serious thought, I decided on two cult favorites: a Beautyblender and Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Skin Protectant.


The pink egg-shaped thing on the left is the Beautyblender that I've finally figured out how to use correctly and I'm now in love with it. It's made applying liquid foundation so much easier than ever before, and I can't say enough good things about it. You're supposed to use it wet, but I've had the best results when I squeeze it out in a hand towel rather than just my hands. Once it's wet, I dip the fatter bottom end into foundation I've pumped onto the back of my hand and dot it all over my face. The 'pointed' end can be used to reach those crevices around your eyes and nose. For the time being, I've replaced my MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus with a bottle of L'Oreal True Match Lumi Healthy Luminous Makeup that I've had for awhile but hated to apply with my fingers (and I'm really liking the foundation, too).

I wish I could say equally amazing things about the Elizabeth Arden cream, but I can't. It's more like an ointment instead of a cream, and I wasn't really expecting that. Secondly, it smells like a nursing home. (<- I hope that's not an offensive description, but that's honestly what it reminds me of.) A ton of bloggers and YouTubers love this potion, but I haven't gotten into it just yet. Maybe time will change my opinion, but for now, I'd suggest skipping this. (I've heard there's a fragrance-free version, but I'm not convinced it works any better on chapped lips and dry patches. Leave me a comment if you use it, please.)

Oh, and one more thing - the wonky EA 'cream' scent really messes with my pup, Riley. Whenever I try wearing it to bed on my chapped lips, she'll get really close to my face because the scent draws her in, but even she can't bring herself to try licking it because it smells. that. bad.

Overall, I'm happy with my decisions. The Beautyblender alone is enough to keep me happy, and if Riley is ever annoying me, then I know how to fend her off now.
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment