Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Remembering Grandma Mary

Is it just me, or are pictures just not as meaningful as they used to be? That's not to say that first birthday, wedding, graduation, first child, etc., pictures aren't memorable, but it's more or less my thoughts as we've become a society that shares pictures all. of. the. time. We have Instragram, Facebook, picture messaging. I can't keep track of how many pictures flash in front of my eyes every 24 hours.

With that said, there are three pictures that stand out the most to me in my lifetime (and I really hope this doesn't upset anyone if I haven't listed a picture that we've maybe shared in the past): a wedding photo of Mr. Cush and I walking out of the church right after we were married, a picture of my sisters and I wearing Mommabear's pantyhose on our heads and pretending we were dogs when we were young, and this picture of my grandma Mary ...


That picture above was taken on our wedding day - June 25, 2005. Grandma passed away less than five months later on Nov. 18, and even eight years later, I can honestly say it was the most heartbreaking day of my life.

Growing up, my siblings and I were blessed to live in the same town as both sets of our grandparents. We all saw each other very frequently, but we saw Grandma Mary every single day until we left for college. Both of my parents had full-time jobs, and with four kids, they were lucky to have Grandma Mary just five minutes away to help out at anytime. She literally came to our home every morning before school and would help us pack lunches and get ready for the day. 

Grandma Mary's home was less than a block from the elementary school we all attended, and I remember walking to her house all the time for lunch ... she made a mean cheeseburger. I'd also walk there after school and wait for my parents to pick me up. After Brittany and Cassie were born, I remember spending every Saturday night (and sometimes Friday, too) with her and Grandpa Bob. We'd all watch the NBC lineup of "The Golden Girls," "Empty Nest," "Nurses" and "Sisters" together before I'd fall asleep on the sofa in their living room. Grandpa and I would have a 'midnight snack' between shows - maybe a Ding Dong or Twinkie, or a single-serving box of cereal. I remember those nights like they were just last week and cherish the details of those memories.

Grandpa passed away when I was in fourth grade, and from then on, we saw Grandma Mary even more frequently. She joined us on family vacations and was everywhere we went. I don't have many family/holiday memories without her.

Halfway through college, she was diagnosed with colon cancer. A few surgeries and treatments were successful, but the cancer never went away completely. She was well enough in early 2005 to help my mother make my bridesmaids' dresses and table cloths and other items for our wedding. However, when we returned from our honeymoon one week following the wedding, she was back in the hospital. She didn't make it long enough to see the end of the year. Thanksgiving and Christmas in 2005 were devastating. It felt wrong to not have her with us for the holidays.

Eight years later, the pain has gotten better, but when I come across the picture of her above, I'm flooded with memories that very few photographs are capable of achieving. 

Grandma Mary wasn't alive to see both of my sisters' weddings or the births of what now would've been three great grandchildren. Although that makes me terribly sad, it's been fun to watch Mommabear fill that role for my nieces and nephews. She spoils them rotten and it's gut-wrenching (in a good way) to see how much they love her back in ways only grandmas can be loved. I might have to witness it from 1,000 miles away, but it's beyond evident that she's more than capable of being the best grandma ever to them. I love hearing them call her "Grandma Cindy" ... it reminds me of my love and affection for Grandma Mary.

This probably became a little sappier than I intended ... my apologies. It's funny how much a single image can flood us with memories ...
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment