Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Time I Made Face Guacamole

You know what's expensive? A trip to the spa.

You know what's NOT expensive? An avocado.


Avocados are usually two for $1 at the local grocery ... and they're a staple in the Cushman refrigerator. 
Mr. Cush and I add avocado to almost everything we make.

Like my feet back in June, my face feels a little beaten up by the summer this year. (Calm down, Mommabear … no sunburns.) Between the scorching sun, outside humidity and indoor air-conditioning, I feel like my aging face has really taken some hits. Those little wrinkles I first noticed around my eyes last fall seem a wee bit more prominent lately, and my first instinct is to blame this on the harsh conditions of summertime.

In an effort to combat the effects, I took to Pinterest for a DIY Facemask to possibly restore some moisture in my skin. That's where I found a promising three-ingredient mask consisting of a ripe avocado, honey and full fat Greek yogurt.

You know what else made it promising? My kitchen was stocked with all three items.

So I mixed together the following concoction before slathering it all on my face for 15 minutes:

½ ripe Avocado
1 teaspoon of honey
1 teaspoon of full fat Greek yogurt

After the slathering, I decided to kill some time on my iPhone and figure out why this was going to supposedly make a miraculous impact on my skin.

(Full disclosure: I tried sitting on the sofa and watching a rerun of The King of Queens, but Riley was all up in my business and trying to get a good lick of the mask. To fend her off, I returned to the standing position to wait out my 15 minutes and figure out what mystical and magical enzymes were mixing together like scrubbing bubbles on my face to create a dewy and radiant post-avocado mask glow.)

Q. Did you know?
A. Avocados offer a good source of biotin, which helps prevent dry skin.

Q. Did you know? 
A. Honey contains mild alpha hydroxy acid, which loosens the bonds between dead skin cells, making it a great exfoliant.

Q. Did you know?
A. Full fat Greek yogurt is packed with a natural source of proteins, vitamins and minerals to nourish parched skin.

Q. Did you know?
A. This is another Pinterest fail on my part. 

I probably could have saved the avocado for a taco salad and smothered my face with Vaseline for 15 minutes instead. At least this didn't stain my face green (because I did panic about halfway through when I convinced myself I'd be resembling the Wicked Witch of the West for a few days), so it gets a slightly higher review than The Time I Soaked My Feet in Listerine


This would not have been a good look for me, as I'm certain it would clash with anything pink and/or blonde.
Ashley

6 comments:

  1. Why was it a fail? Did it not follow through on it's promised results? Was it disgusting? Did it oxidize and turn brown while on your face? Was it hard to get off? Did it smell weird?

    Loyal readers need more information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "ripe" avocado kept it from turning brown in the 20 or so minutes it was exposed to air. Wasn't hard to wipe off, and it didn't smell weird (probably thanks to the honey). It was just 'meh.' For as silly as it was to fix a face mask in the kitchen, I probably could have saved time by dipping my face in a meringue pie, just like Mrs. Doubtfire.

      Delete
  2. Make the hole from the pit a little bit bigger by scoping it out with a spoon... Then crack an egg and drop it in there... Then bake it... Eggvocado!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally fell for soaking my feet in listerine too. Hello blue feet! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rumor has it that if you use the PLAIN Listerine (instead of the wintergreen or spearmint or whatever 'flavors'), your feet remain a normal color. However, I was scarred enough to never try that experiment again in my life!!!

      Delete