Pages

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

An Embarrassing Confession …

I have an embarrassing confession to share with you. I wish it was a confession as mundane as fibbing a bit when it comes to my natural hair color, however, it's much, much worse than that. 

You see, I lie about my perfume(s) … whenever I'm in the checkout line at Walgreen's and a sweet customer tells me that I smell good and inquires about my eau de toilette, I tend to blush and murmur that it's "Chanel something or other."

It's not. 

It's Britney Spears Fantasy, the one in the hot-pink bottle that I've purchased approximately four times and used the entirety of each bottle. But how can you blame me for not confessing to the sweet lady at Walgreen's that I'm a 30-something-year-old female wearing BRITNEY SPEARS PERFUME?

Ugh. It's shameful. 

But it smells so good, and it's like an instant mood lifter when I spritz it on each morning. It's so feminine - maybe in a teenager-kind-of-way - but I still love it. The description of it states top notes of lychee, quince and kiwi, with middle notes of cupcake, jasmine and white chocolate orchid and a finish of creamy musk, orris root and sensual woods. You tell me … what's NOT to love about that description?

Sadly, there's more to the story.

My other favorite, shameful fragrance is Lady Gaga's Fame perfume. I bought it at Macy's a year or so ago when one of those overzealous spritzers in the beauty department nearly assaulted me with it. I truly tried to pass on the unwanted spritzing, mostly out of fear of smelling like bonafide skank for the rest of the day, but I gave in and the rest is history.

This perfume is MAYBE a bit more age appropriate than my Britney bottle, but not by much. Fame is described as a "lustful, floral, fruity essence for fabulous little monsters" on Sephora's website. You instantly get a whiff of apricot and honey when you sprtiz this on, and it's kind of neat to see the black liquid turn invisible once airborne.

So everyday, I'm faced with one major dilemma before I've had my second cup of coffee … which of the dueling pop star fragrances will I wear today?

Any suggestions for a less embarrassing perfume purchase, blog readers? I'm open to suggestions.


Every morning I make a gut wrenching decision between these two perfumes ... On my more mature days, Michael Kors' Very Hollywood beats both of them.
Ashley

1 comment:

  1. Don't fret, Ash. Fantasy has occupied my fragrance collection as well. It is ALWAYS a contender when I make my "next perfume purchase" choices.

    For the more age-appriate options out there, I HIGHLY reccomend Light Blue by Dolce & Gabanna. I have a friend that always wore it. Every time, I would creepily stick my nose in her personal bubble and inhale deeply, asking her what perfume it was again. Finally it stuck and I raced to Ulta the next time I could and purchased myself a purse sized bottle. That was in May, and it is over half empty. I will definitely be rupurchasing the jumbo bottle.

    Also, surprisingly, Bath & Body Works' scents "Forever Red" and "Secret Wonderland" and pretty awesome, and they have them in an average sized Eau de Toilette (I forget the volume, but its probably around 2 oz... you know, the average size). I think they are like $29.50? Pretty good, I'd say. Obviously they have tons of fragrances choices, so that might be a good place to start if you aren't wanting to drop $60 - $70 on a new perfume that you're not quite sure about.

    ReplyDelete