Pages

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Healthy Hands and Nails Routine

Winter is wreaking havoc on my hands and nails. The cold, brisk air outside coupled with the dry heat inside is a nightmare situation that all of us must endure unless we live in a tropical climate.

If I'm being completely open and honest, though, another reason my nails look a bit tragic is because they've been the victim of back-to-back gel manicures - the kind of salon-grade polish that cures under a UV lamp and last two-three weeks. Natural nails are buffed down and "roughed up" a bit prior to the application, and it's just not an ideal situation. (Although I do love the way the shiny lacquer looks, five weeks straight was just too much for my weak, frail nails to take.)

After soaking my nail beds in pure acetone a few weeks ago to remove all traces of the gel polish, it was evident that they needed a little TLC to be brought back to life. Off to ULTA I went to search for a cure.

I left my home-away from home (when I'm not at home, work or Target, you know I'm at ULTA) with Essie's Apricot Cuticle Oil and OPI's Nail Envy. After about 10 days of using this combination and ample application of my favorite hand lotion, I can say my nails look like they're back in their pre-gel condition. 

I usually apply the apricot oil twice each day - morning and evening - and it quickly absorbs into my cuticles and makes them look nourished and moisturized. The Nail Envy instructions require a week-long process - two coats on day one, one coat on day three, one coat on day five and removal on day seven. After a full cycle and a half, I'm impressed. My nails seem stronger, the pink beds seem pinker and the white tips look whiter … what I'm trying to convey is that Nail Envy has made a real difference.



Do you have any tried-and-true remedies for your hands and nails that you'd recommend to others? If so, please share them in the comments below!
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment